I’ve been trying to bake this cake for over a week…I’ve just been too busy. Finally, today, I made it. Whipping Cream Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze. It’s my daughter’s recipe and she makes the best pound cake ever…..I mean ever. Hers would be twice this tall! Usually we don’t glaze or frost it, but I wanted a little something extra. And next week will be all about spicy pumpkins and apples so, this weekend, we’re having lemon with our cake.
As a rule, I don’t like lemon glaze. Most people make it soooo sharp and sour it will put your teeth on edge. There’s a very easy way to remedy that and make a wonderful lemon glaze that’s just perfect. Yes, I’m going to tell you what I do.
The great thing about a pound cake is it gets better after a day or so.
The important thing about the Lemon glaze is to add some melted butter and flavoring to cut the sweet. Most people just mix lemon juice with powdered sugar and that makes a very sour glaze. The addition of butter and vanilla make a delightful lemon glaze. Like Goldilocks would say “It’s not too sweet and not too sour, it’s just right.” That’s what we want…just right. I grated some lemon zest over the top after I glazed it, but your could add it to your glaze when you mix it. Enjoy!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 stick margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup of 10x Sugar
- Juice of one lemon (place lemon in microwave for about 30 seconds on high to make before squeezing to get more juice...)
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Mix all together. You don't want it runny. It should be somewhat thick, but loose enough to drizzle. You may add a tad of water if too thick.
- Drizzle over mostly cooled cake.
- Preheat oven 325* Grease and flour tube pan
- Cream butter and margarine until mixed. Add sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour and cream alternately until well combined. Fold in salt and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 1&1/2 hours in center of oven.
- Test with tester to be sure center is done and tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 15 minutes and turn out of pan onto cake plate.