Since I started making sourdough bread I’ve been looking for ways to use the sourdough starter that must be discarded at each feeding. Don’t you hate to throw away perfectly good food? I do, too. I wondered if pancakes would work. Pancakes are light and fluffy and I wondered if the addition of sourdough would make them too heavy. I knew any recipe would have to pass the inspection of the grandchildren. Pancakes are kind of a specialty at our house…we take them very seriously. They must be light and fluffy. Nothing more, nothing less. So I decided to take a chance that there actually could be a light and fluffy sourdough pancake. These Perfect Sourdough Pancakes are delicious and met the approval of everyone at the table.
They have a delicate texture and the wonderful sourdough flavor comes through ever so slightly, making a delicious sourdough pancake. All my worries about them being too heavy were for naught. Sourdough pancakes are tender as can be. We love the flavor and the texture.
If you feed your sourdough once a week, this is a perfect solution. Next time it’s time to feed your sourdough starter, instead of throwing out perfectly good sourdough starter…make these Perfect Sourdough Pancakes.
You won’t be sorry. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 2/3 cups plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 4 TBLS butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar (Optional)
- *** It has been brought to my attention that some starter is very thin. You may want to begin with half the milk and then after it is all mixed add additional, as you need. Rather than using less starter, I'd reduce the milk, according to your starter. You might check my photos for and idea of what it ',should' look like... hope this helps.
- Combine milk and sourdough in a medium bowl using a fork. Stir in flour, salt, sugar and baking soda. Add eggs, mixing well. Fold in melted butter.
- Cook on an un-greased griddle set at 350* or an un-greased frying pan at medium heat. Cook until bubbles begin to appear flip and cook other side until lightly browned.
- Serve with butter and syrup or fresh fruit...