You can tell it’s Springtime at my house when your plate is served, garnished with strawberries…we. love. them. You’ll find them at breakfast, lunch and supper! Seriously… Strawberries make a meal feel gourmet. And THAT makes your family feel special..and I’m all about showing my family how much I LOVE them!
All it takes is a few strawberries to make your breakfast special. Add chopped leftover bacon baked in the oven to your eggs, plus a little cheese. Not only is this a special breakfast, it’s a pretty breakfast, and healthy too.
And when I really want to serve them something special, I bake a Luscious Strawberry Cake. I sliced this for my picky granddaughter last night and as I stepped back into the kitchen I heard her talking to herself softly, saying, “This is really good…ummm, this is good!” after each bite. Yes, it is really good. Strawberries and whipped cream…..how could you go wrong?
I begin by baking the same cake layers I use for my chocolate layer cake, here. Divide batter evenly into 3 layers for this cake rather than the 5 for the chocolate. It will take a little longer for them to bake, so add a few more minutes to make sure the layers are done.
I have several tips to check for doneness: I usually watch the sides of the cake while it is baking. Just as the cake begins to pull away from the sides, it is done…even if the top isn’t browned yet. The top will puff up in the middle. That’s another clue I go by. Also, a toothpick will come out clean when inserted into middle of cake. So keep all of these in mind when you bake.
While the layers are baking, WASH strawberries in cool water, always wash your strawberries …3 pints and pat dry with a paper towel.
Next, slice and chop strawberries. Toss strawberries very lightly with sugar, about 1/4 cup. Set them aside.
Whip the fresh cream until it’s very stiff, but not until it turns to butter….;) yes, you have to be careful and watch it closely. You want it stiff, so it will hold up on the cake and not slide off. I use about 1/2 cup sugar in 3 cups of cream.
After layers are done, cool them completely. To assemble cake, place a small amount of whipped cream onto the cake plate to help prevent cake from sliding. Place one layer onto cake plate. Using a slotted spoon, spoon berries onto first cake layer.. It’s ok for some of the juice to sink into the cake, you just don’t want it too juicy and soggy…or maybe you do…it’s your call.
Top the berries with whipped cream and then repeat with cake, strawberries, whipped cream. Then add last layer of cake. Top with whipped cream. Completely cover whole cake with remaining whipped cream. Garnish Luscious Strawberry Cake with slices of strawberries and a mint leaf.
It’s Springtime…time to enjoy fresh strawberries with your meals.…and this Luscious Strawberry Cake! When you do, you’ll also be hearing little whispers when you leave the room… “Wow, this is really good!” and “Oh my this is GOOOOOD!”
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 pints of strawberries, washed and chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream whipped stiffly with 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325*
- Grease and flour 3 9" cake pans
- Cream sugar and butter till fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well after each one.
- Sift flour and baking powder together
- Add flour alternately with milk to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9" baking pans.
- Bake 325* preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, according to your oven. . It may not be browned but it should be pulling away from the sides. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Turn out onto waxed paper and allow to cool.
- Wash and pat strawberries dry. Chop and add 1/3 cup sugar. Allow to sit while cakes bake and cool.
- Whip cream with 1/2 cup sugar until stiff enough not to slide off cake.
- Assemble cake in layers; begin with cake, berries (drain slightly with slotted spoon) whipped cream. Then another cake, berries and top with last cake layer. Top with whipping cream on top and around sides.
- Serve garnished with additionally strawberries.