Chicken Tortilla Soup …just in time for the Arctic blast coming our way!!! This wonderful Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe was inspired by the slow-cooker recipe on Peas and Crayons. Jenn’s recipe uses a crock pot…and trust me, I’m all about using my crock pot…but I got up a little late this morning and wanted to serve this for lunch…so with some variations, I made a huge pot on top of the stove. And my kitchen smelled divine. It’s easy …just gather all of your ingredients and put it in a large stock pot and let it cook…..2-3 hours.
I made several changes, since the batch was larger and I cooked it on the stove top. Trust me, you’re going to want more, so go ahead and cook it.
Simmer 3-4 chicken breast until tender. Once they were cooked, shred them with two forks. They were so tender, pulling them apart was easy. Reserve the stock to use in the soup. Once I decided to make it on the stove top, I increased the ingredients and the stock came in handy. Add chopped onion, seed and de-vein the jalapeño peppers( unless you want some kick, then leave some of the veins).
Two can of black beans and one can of chile beans. Any type canned beans will work. One large can of crushed tomatoes and 1 box of chicken stock and 1 can of tomato paste, and 1/2 cup salsa verde. Add 5 cloves of garlic minced, then round it out with spices and chopped cilantro and several torn corn tortillas. Add stock from cooking chicken. Cook away. That’s it. You may add more or less of any ingredient, to taste. Salt and pepper and spices…. when it’s done serve with your favorite toppings…sour cream, grated cheese, red onion and tortilla chips are my favorites!
Now, if you want to make everyone happy when they arrive home this cold evening…have Chicken Tortilla Soup simmering on the stove…you can’t go wrong…
- 1 box chicken stock (8cups) Plus stock from cooking chicken…approx 4 more cups
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa verde
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 can chili beans
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 jalapenos (seeds and veins removed) Leave some veins if you'd like a little kick
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 TBLS chili seasonings from chili packet ( Or chili powder)
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- 6 small corn tortillas, torn
- Simmer chicken in enough water to cover, until tender. Reserve stock. Shred chicken. Place all other ingredients in a large stock pot. Simmer over low heat 2-3 hours. Add chicken toward the end of cooking. You may add additional stock or water at the end, to thin if you prefer a thinner soup.
- Top with tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream, green or red onion and enjoy!
- Serves about 12.
- Freeze leftovers for the next Arctic Blast!