One of my tried and true recipes for a quick and delicious dessert is Apple Crisp. The great thing is that you can keep apples for a very long time in the crisper of your refrigerator making it easy to keep the key ingredient on hand. I like using Granny Smith apples but have found that a combination of apples offers the best flavor. My favorite combination is Granny Smith and Braeburn.
It’s simple. While you are getting supper ready, go ahead and core, peel and slice your apples. I normally have 8-10 slices from each apple. Generously butter an 8×10 glass baking dish. Put your apples in layers in the dish. Sprinkle the topping over the top. Pat with butter and bake. Do not cover. Bake until topping is golden brown.
I like to serve with whipped cream made with just a little sugar. Or if you like, serve with Vanilla ice-cream. Either way, it’s a perfect recipe and bound to be a family favorite.
- 4-6 Apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, Optional
- Preheat oven 350*
- Butter 9x13 baking dish. Peel, core and slice apples and arrange in prepared baking dish.
- Combine flour, oatmeal, cinnamon and sugar and cut into butter using a pastry cutter.
- Sprinkle over apple. Pat with butter on top and bake 350* for about 30-40 minutes until topping is golden brown and apples are tender.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice-cream.
- 6 servings