Positively the best bar cookie known to mankind. Buttery, brown sugary, chewy, buttery…oh, I said that already, …still..…..BUTTERY! Is it any wonder they are such a favorite? The simplicity of ingredients make this a staple in many a Southern home. My mother always had Brown Sugar Chews in her famous Tupperware container. All the grandchildren knew where to find them!
When I’m out of dessert, this is a perfect sweet to whip up. And the great thing is that you can switch it up by adding a variety of extras. These had macadamia nuts, and white chocolate bar, coarsely chopped. I prefer pecans…but my husband likes macadamia. So this week, it was macadamia. Coconut is also a great addition. It’s all according to how you feel and what you’re in the mood for and what you have available. But honestly, pecans are all you need.
Ingredients are simple. Brown Sugar, Self Rising Flour, 2 eggs, vanilla, BUTTER, 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans. That’s it.
How hard can this be? Line a 9×13 baking pan with foil. Butter it or Pam it….Preheat oven 350* Bake 20-30 minutes.
And then you can fall in love with the most satisfying sweetness you can imagine.
What are you waiting for? In about 45 minutes you can have a house full of happy campers.
- 1 box of light Brown Sugar minus 1/2 cup of sugar or 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter or 12 TBLS or 3/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or macadamia....may add white chocolate chips, too. Total amount of nuts and or chips should equal about 1 1/2 cups total. If I only have one cup of nuts, I use that. 🙂
- Preheat oven 350*
- Melt butter. Remove pan from heat and stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Add eggs, flour vanilla and nuts. Mix until blended.
- Spread in a 9x13 buttered pan. I like to line my pan with foil or parchment and then butter or Pam it.
- Bake 20-30 minutes until a nice brown crust has formed on top and a tooth pick comes out with only a few crumbs and not wet.
- ALlow to cool a few minutes in pan. Remove by lifting the foil out and placing on a cutting board. Cut into squares. These are perfect for a party to cut into tiny squares or larger squares for the cookie jar. Store in an airtight container, or cookie jar. Freezes nicely between wax paper. Seal tightly.