It’s almost Fall Y’all! I love baking in the Fall. I love homemade apple pies, sweet potato pie, sourdough bread ~ fresh from the oven, slathered with fresh butter! This week, I decided to make these delicious Browned Butter Brown Sugar Cookies. I’m not a fan of sugar cookies. They’re just too sweet to me. But these made a sugar cookie lover out of me! A Browned Butter Brown Sugar Cookie lover! If you’re ready to kick off the baking season with me, grab a stick of butter! Just make sure it’s real Butter!
I’m surprised at how many recipes call for browned butter! I’m so thankful for who ever discovered how delightful it is to brown your butter first. If you haven’t done this before….just wait!
Begin by browning your butter, gently. Use a stainless steel frying pan because it allows you to see exactly how dark your butter is. You don’t want to burn it. Just cook until a medium dark brown, stirring it continuously. Do not leave to answer the phone or door. Butter burns really fast, so stay with it until it’s browned. Remove it from the burner. My husband had to stand outside and watch me finish my browning…yes, he did. He was thankful later. It will have a delicious aroma when it’s browned.
Mix the brown sugar in with the browned butter…yum.
Continue with the recipe. …then…. roll in sugar mixture before baking….
Cool on wire rack…..
Get ready for the most delicious cookie ever….
- 14 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Heat 10 tablespoons of butter until melted and then continue to cook until browned, being careful not to burn! pour into heat proof bowl and add 4 tablespoons of butter, stir to melt. Allow to COOL for 15 minutes.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven 350*
- Add 2 cups of packed dark brown sugar to melted butter and mix with electric mixer until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and mix with wet. Combine until smooth.
- Mix 1/3 cup white and 1/3 cup dark brown sugar in a small bowl. Mix with fingers until there are no lumps left. Keep this to roll dough in before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350*. Line two cookie sheets with parchment. Roll dough into 24 balls. About 2 tablespoons each. Roll into sugar mixture. Space 12 evenly on baking sheet and bake 10-12 minutes. Do Not Overcook!
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack complete cooling.
- Adapted from Cooks Illustrated Recipe