I did say apples are my favorite Fall fruit, didn’t I? Already? They are! Last week after I made my Home-made Apple Tarts I realized I had bought more apples than I needed. I saved the apples to use this week in my Apple Walnut Squares with Caramel Glaze.
Don’t you love to make a mistake that comes in handy later? I do….like the time I was going to make a lemon pie and the filling overcooked, turning brown, so we had to improvise and create an original dessert. Lemon Cheesecake and Strawberry Trifle. It was a great lesson for Stella, who was helping me that morning….and a wonderful dessert…and no one was the wiser. Only Stella and I knew the truth. We love having kitchen secrets.
I remember when I was a little girl, going to family reunions and my great aunt and I couldn’t wait to eat. So, we went around sampling all the food to make sure it was “worthy of my grandmother’s table.” She was my grandmother’s baby sister. I never asked…but, I think she must have been very mischievous growing up. I’ll always remember the fun we had. Such sweet memories. I hope I’m making plenty of fun memories with my little ones.
Oh, I love this recipe…it’s so tender and moist. Perfect with a cup of coffee for breakfast!
Here’s to another favorite recipe…Apple Walnut Squares….Enjoy!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup toasted walnuts,chopped
- 3 apples coarsely chopped with peel on
- 1/2 stick butter...(4 TBLS)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 TBLS canned milk, (Evaporated Milk) NOT sweetened condensed ..you may use half n half
- Preheat oven 350*
- Lightly grease or PAM a 9x13 baking pan.
- Mix oil, sugar and eggs and whip until combined and fluffy.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add apples to oil mixture.
- Add nuts to flour mixture.
- Mix both mixtures together.
- Spread evenly into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden brown and cake begin to pull away from sides.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Top with glaze.
- Glaze: bring butter and brown sugar to a boil.
- Boil for 2 minutes.
- Add milk
- Boil one minute longer
- Remove from heat
- Allow to cool a few minutes
- while still warm, drizzle over cake