Wondering what to cook for lunch? I have something delicious, nutritious and I’ll bet you have all the ingredients already… Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup. Paired with crusty bread, makes for a perfect lunch. And it’s easy, too.
I rarely get this treat, but my baby boy stopped by for lunch today. Thankfully, this was on the stove. I added a tad more chicken stock and cream to stretch my soup, a bit. Don’t you love a recipe that will accommodate a quick adjustment for a surprise guest? I do, too!
I always keep frozen broccoli in the freezer. It’s quick, easy and nutritious. And with my thyroid problem, I don’t need to eat it raw, as it interferes with my medicine. So, I used frozen florets but you can use fresh broccoli. One is as good as the other for soups. Frozen is just simpler.
First, cook broccoli in 1/2 cup water until tender, and set aside. In a sauce pan cook 1/3 cup chopped onion in 1 TBLS butter. Next, make a roux with flour and additional butter.
Add chicken stock and cook over medium heat until thickened. Chop the broccoli (I add the water it was cooked in, too) and add to soup. Add half n half and cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Season after adding cheese with salt and pepper. Cheese is salty, so it’s best to wait to add seasonings until after cheese has melted.
I garnish each serving with additional cheese and some crunchy oven baked bacon ( leftover from breakfast) and I also kept out a few florets of broccoli to garnish the top.
There were no complaints, only praise, for this last minute lunch today! I’ll bet it will be the same at your house! My son, who also loves to cook, says he will be making this soon. Let me know how you like it!
- 4 cups broccoli florets...more or less; fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 TBLS butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups half n half or a can of canned evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed milk)
- Optional: Garnish with: chopped crispy bacon, additional cheese, reserved florets
- Cook broccoli until tender and set aside.
- Saute onion in 1 TBLS butter until transparent
- Add 1/4 cup butter to onion and melt.
- Add flour to butter and cook, stirring with a whisk, until lightly brown, to make a roux.
- Add chicken stock and gently cook until begins to thicken a bit
- Add half n half
- Add grated Cheddar Cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook, stirring until thickened.
- Adjust consistency by adding more cheese for thicker, or more milk, if you prefer thinner soup
- Garnish with crumbled bacon, additional cheese and/or broccoli florets, as you like~