Summertime and the blackberries are ripe…..well, I actually bought mine at the store. These days, you can find them year round in the freezer section, so you can make this anytime you feel like it. And I do.
I have this thing about blackberries. Maybe because I remember picking them in the Summer growing up. Or maybe it’s the blackberry cobbler my grandmother always made for our family reunions. Or all the jams I made with them when my babies were little. Whatever, I love anything blackberry. If you haven’t tried my ‘signature’ Blackberry Tea…please do! It’s the perfect Summertime drink.
This weekend we celebrated a couple of birthdays at my house and yes, we had birthday cakes…but, I decided to make Blackberry Mousse, too.
Not only is it a pretty little dish to set before your guests…it’s a delightful little dessert. And perfect for a Summertime Dinner Party.
The fun thing about this recipe is that any berry will work. You may use blueberries, strawberries raspberries or any combination there of. I used Blackberries…..because I’m partial to Blackberries….but I already said that.
This recipe can be made ahead, even the day before. Just wait to add whipped cream on top and berries right before serving.
This is such a pretty dessert to serve to company. I found the parfait glasses at GoodWill…. I’ll bet you can, too. You may need to make a couple of trips, like I did, but you will eventually find enough for a party. 😉
Here’s the recipe ….happy cooking!
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cups of granulated sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 8oz blocks of cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin powder
- 3 TBLS warm water
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 TBLS blackberry jam/jelly
- whipped cream
- mint leaves
- Place blackberries in a saucepan with 1/4 cup of water. Heat over medium heat until berries hot. Press hot berries through a mesh strainer, mashing the berries with the back of a spoon to extract juice,
- Mix gelatin with 3 TBLS warm water until dissolved.
- Beat whipping cream until stiff peaks are formed; Set aside.
- Cream sugar, vanilla, salt, gelatin and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Fold whipped cream, cream cheese mixture and berries together until well blended.
- Divide into 8 parfait glasses, cover and refrigerate until time to serve.
- Toss with 1/2 cup fresh blackberries with warmed jelly to glaze.
- Just before serving add additional whipped cream, glazed berries and a mint leaf to each serving.