Bananas don’t last long at my house. Either they are eaten…(we love a banana, peanut butter and honey sandwich for lunch). Or either they start turning brown and I rush to use them in something ASAP.
I was fascinated to learn that the more brown spots on a banana, the more nutritional value they have. There is no doubt, they get sweeter the more brown spots they have. I’ve finally convinced my grandchildren of this. (Still working on my grown children…;) )
I do draw the line. When they get soft and mushy, they’re only good for cooking….and Double Chocolate Banana Bread is the perfect use of an over ripe banana. Or two. Or three.
I made this today. A variation on my favorite Banana Nut Bread recipe. If you have bananas sitting on your counter, turning browner by the minute….don’t wait another minute….make this! Especially if you are a chocolate lover!
It’s richly chocolate with cocoa powder and chocolate chips. I prefer the bittersweet chocolate chips. The older I get, the less I like sweeeeeeet things that curl my teeth. Bittersweet is perfect to me. But you may prefer the semi sweet or milk chocolate chips for your family. Either one works.
Warm from the oven, with butter and a glass of milk….(or a cup of coffee)……delicious! If you’ve been craving something chocolate….and have bananas….this is your recipe!
I made muffins last week, from this recipe. Grease muffin tin or line with cupcake liners, fill 2/3 full with batter and bake 350* for 20-25 minutes.
Perfect for lunch boxes. And nutritional, too!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup ripened mashed bananas
- 1 cup chocolate chips...I prefer bittersweet
- Preheat oven 350* Grease loaf pan. (Or muffin tins.)
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream, vanilla and mix well. Sift dry ingredients together. Add to creamed mixture. Stir in bananas and chocolate chips.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake 70 minutes or until toothpick some out clean.
- (Bake muffins 20-25 minutes. )
- Remove from pan to cool.