It’s a holiday weekend and I want something easy and delicious to cook that will also give me some of that wonderful word I love…Leftovers….I know they say ‘real men don’t eat quiche’….well, they do at my house and they love it! I don’t know who the infamous “they” is but ‘they’ got it wrong! Men love hearty food and a quiche can be filled with all sorts of vegetables and meats making for a very manly meal!
I did a search for a sausage quiche and I couldn’t believe it! None of them called for cheese! What? No wonder their men don’t eat quiche! What you really have if you leave out the cheese is an egg casserole. Anyway, I just adjusted a recipe that had cheese and added my own fillings. It was the best.
This basic quiche recipe can be adjusted to include a variety of fillings. It’s a perfect way to use leftover vegetables and meats! Any meat should be thoroughly cooked first. Ham. bacon, cheddar cheese, asparagus, broccoli would also be great in this recipe!
I’m blogging it today before I forget the recipe! My husband LOVED it and yours will, too. And hey, don’t listen to the infamous “they.” “They” obviously don’t know how to cook!
- 1/2 lb. sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 1/4 cup half n half
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 2 handfuls of raw spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee mushrooms and onions in a tablespoon of olive oil until onions are almost transparent. Combine half n half and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add all remaining ingredients and combine with egg mixture. Pour mixture into a unbaked deep pie crust. Bake 375* about 40- 50 mins minutes.
- Serves 6-8