I know, I know…it’s just so easy to pull that blue box down from the pantry shelf and whip up some macaroni and cheese. But just in case you didn’t know, it’s just as simple to open a box of elbow macaroni and make your own…. and it is 1000 times better tasting and probably better for you. If you’ve ever been to a covered dish dinner at church or remember homemade macaroni and cheese from your grandma’s house….then you’ll agree, there’s nothing quite like that first taste of old fashioned homemade macaroni and cheese. So soft and tender with an amazing sharp cheddar cheese flavor, that just can’t be bought in a box.
The ingredients are simple, too. 2 cups of dry elbow macaroni, 1 stick of butter, 1 large can of evaporated milk, 3 eggs, 1 lb grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 2 Tbls prepared mustard, salt and pepper. A few cracker crumbs to garnish..optional, tho.
First of all buy Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese and grate it yourself. I know you can buy it already grated and if you must, then fine…but if at all possible, grate it yourself. It’s so much better.
COOK your elbow macaroni according to directions on box. Drain and add butter. Stir to melt and then add all other ingredients and mix well. Just as simple as opening a box!
Pour into a buttered baking dish. I usually use a clear glass pyrex type so I can watch it brown on the sides as it’s cooking…but it’s not necessary.
Top with a few butter pats for good measure, you know…. and crumble a few crackers on top, if you like.
Bake in a preheated 425* oven for 30-40 mins or until it is cooked in the middle. You just take a spoon and look inside. If it’s runny at all I usually cook 5-10 more minutes.
You may never buy a blue box again.
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 pound grated Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 eggs
- 3 TBLS prepared mustard
- 1 tall can Carnation evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 425*
- Cook macaroni according to directions on box, don't overcook. Drain. Place in a large bowl and add butter, stirring until melted.
- (Reserve about 1/2 cup of cheese for topping)
- Add all other ingredients and stir until mixed.
- Pour into a buttered baking dish.
- Top with about 1/2 cup cheese and a few cracker crumbs if you like.
- Place in preheated oven on bottom rack.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until done. It should NOT be runny in the middle. If it is, then cook 5-10 minutes longer.
- Serves 8-10
- Perfect leftovers.