We’ve been partying at my house this weekend. My husband’s birthday was Friday and so the kids, grandchildren and I started the weekend off with an old fashioned cookout. Well, we had to. I bought him a new grill. Nothing too fancy, just big enough for the two of us and maybe a few more. Of course, he had to try it out. I bought steak and fresh corn on the cob to grill, made a tossed salad and celebrated with birthday candles on a Sinfully Delicious Devil’s Food Cake and then we churned Peach Ice Cream. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful party for Papa.
And that was just the first party…..
This recipe for Churned Peach Ice Cream is made with a cooked custard. I love using eggs and cream in my ice-cream because otherwise…you’ve only got ice milk!!! I believe a special occasion calls for the real thing.
You begin by making a custard with cream and sugar and egg yolks. Add your pureed peaches and chill overnight.
After your custard chills it will be cold and thick and ready to churn.
Add additional cream or half n half to the fill line and churn according to maker’s directions.
Always remove the dasher from the churn, (otherwise it will freeze in there) put lid back on and add more ice-cream salt to ice. Then, wrap in towels and allow to ‘ripen.’
We enjoyed our little birthday party and the grandchildren thought it was a perfect way to celebrate with their Papa…with all their favorite foods, steak, corn on the cob, chocolate birthday cake and home churned Peach Ice-Cream!
But the real party came the next night….the one for grown-ups…..and it was a surprise! Stay tuned….we’ve just begun to party.
- 1 cup Half N Half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1- 1 1/2 cups (150g) granulated sugar
- 3 cups pureed peaches
- additional cream, half N half or milk to add to fill line
- Place half n half, cream and sugar in a pan on the stove and heat until sugar dissolves. DO NOT BOIL. Remove from heat. Whisk eggs yolks in a small bowl. Remove 1 cup of heated cream. In a very thin stream, slowly and gently pour the one cup into the eggs, whisking the whole time, to temper them. Next add egg mixture back to cream on stove and cook until barely thickened. Just enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain the whole mixture to remove any particles of egg from the custard. Add pureed peaches and flavorings. Refrigerate until morning, or at least 4 hours.
- When ready to churn, pour peaches and cream into churn. Add additional cream to the fill line (Or Half N Half or Milk) Churn according to directions.
- Garnish with peach slices and a mint sprig. enjoy.