This is one of my favorite family meals. Don’t be intimidated by this recipe. Follow these directions, with photos below, and you’ll be serving Man Pleasing Cabbage Rolls like a pro…1st time!! Got a guy you want to impress…even if he thinks he doesn’t like cabbage…he will when he tastes these.
My children were raised on my cabbage rolls and my married son called last week to get the recipe. Hence, this post. But several years ago we had a guest, in our home for dinner, a friend of my 25 year old step-son, who wasn’t raised on these…and I swear, they both turned their noses up when I told them what we were having…THEY REALLY DID!!! I wasn’t worried. One bite and they would be hooked. Sure enough, there were no leftovers. Follow these directions and you will making Man Pleasing Cabbage Rolls in no time.
To begin…..Always buy leafy cabbage..you need the outer leaves, too.
Remove the outer leaves from the head of the cabbage and reserve them…
Place whole cabbage in large pot of boiling water…as it cooks, slice thru the stem of each leaf, to remove from head.
Allow leaves as you cut them to cook slightly then remove from pot and drain.
Shave the coarse stem off the back of each leaf.
Mix 1lb hamburger, 1 small chopped onion, 1 egg, 1 1/2 cups cook rice, salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic salt…herbs, optional, if you have them. This is enough for a medium head of cabbage.
Place a small amount of mixture on each leaf.
Roll up, folding outside toward middle to completely enclose meat mixture.
Line bottom of baking dish with the outer leaves we reserved. This absorbs fat from meat. Arrange rolls on top.
Cover with Prego or plain tomato sauce, if you prefer. We like Prego. Reserve some to serve with rolls.
Now, cover the top of the rolls with remaining outter leaves. This prevents the rolls from browning too much.
Bake about 45-50 minutes at 350*. If they are larger rolls I bake an hour.
Remove outer leaves…and add more sauce on top…
Serve…I usually serve my Man-Pleasing Cabbage Rolls with Mashed potatoes and English peas…last night I also served a tomato salad, peach muffin.
Enjoy! And let me know how they turned out!
- 1 Medium head of cabbage…buy one with lots of outer leaves
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Dash of seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Mix 1lb hamburger, 1 small chopped onion, 1 egg, 1 1/2 cups cook rice, salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic salt...herbs, optional, if you have them. This is enough for a medium head of cabbage.
- Remove outer leaved and reserve. Wash them and set aside.
- Place head of cabbage into a large pot of water and bring to a simmer.
- As leaves cook cut each leaf at the stem, one at a time, until it is removed from the head. Allow to cook a few minutes in water and then remove to drain. Leaves should be cooked, barely tender.
- with a small paring knife, trim the coarse stem from the back of each leaf until it is thin.
- Mix meat, rice and spices. With a tablespoon place a small amount on each leaf and roll up to seal meat inside.
- Place half of the outer leaves on the bottom of a greased 9x12 baking dish. Arrange rolls on top of leaves. Pour half a jar of Prego over top of rolls and then cover with remaining outer leaves.
- Bake in 350* preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until done.
- Remove outer leaves and pour additional Prego over rolls. Serve.