Last night I made my secret cough syrup for my husband, whose cough had gotten way out of control. It seems to be worse at night and lately we both have lost sleep for one reason or another and his cough wasn’t helping matters.
For 20 years we have made hot toddies when we have a cough or sore throat and they do help. Simply heat some bourbon and honey. Squeeze a lemon into the hot brew and sip away.
Last night I added my little twist. Ginger. Fresh ginger. Why? Because honey and ginger work together to keep you healthy…and that little bit of bourbon is essential, too…
You may know that ginger has great medicinal properties. For thousands of years the Chinese have known the value of ginger in maintaining good health. A cup of ginger tea everyday is good to keep your body healthy. It provides relief for everything from stomach issues such as nausea to relieving arthritis pain. And so much more.
But what you may not know, and I discovered quite by accident, it helps with coughs. I made this little concoction and he slept like a baby. Not even a whimper. I tell him it’s my Love Potent Number 9. (Now, don’t you feel better?) He said I’d better patent it because it works!
I suggest you take this before bed and not drive after taking a dose, due to the alcohol content. Also check with your doctor about combining this with over-the-counter or prescription drugs. I’m not a doctor, just a grandma….with a recipe.
Also, this is not for children due to the alcohol content and remember that infants are not to have honey before one year of age…
This is for you…home alone ~ nursing a cold ~ with a cough ~and you or~ your spouse ~ wants to sleep tonight…
My husband poured about 1/4 cup into a glass and drank it before he went to bed. We both got a good nights sleep. 😉
This recipe may be doubled or tripled.
Keep in the refrigerator and use within a month….or so. 😉
- 1/2 cup bourbon or whiskey
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 short finger (about 1 inch) of fresh ginger, sliced very thinly or grated
- Heat bourbon and honey over medium heat until honey melts and is blended. Do not boil.
- Place sliced lemons in a pint jar (with lid).
- I used an empty glass honey jar.
- Add ginger to top of lemons.
- After honey has melted, remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Pour bourbon mixture over lemons and ginger in jar.
- Allow to cool.
- Before bed take 2 tablespoons - 1/4 cup of syrup.
- Due to the alcohol content you may not want to drive after taking.
- And consult your doctor before mixing with prescription or over counter drugs
- This is for adults. 🙂
- Children should not be given alcohol
- Babies under one year old should not be given honey
- It will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator...well, ok...a month or so.
- Recipe may easily be doubled or tripled.